Whether you’re new to the wellness experience or even a seasoned self-care pro, there’s a chance you’ve heard all the hype surrounding infrared saunas. While the idea of sweating out toxins and upping your metabolism sounds enticing, does the infrared sauna really provide such healthy benefits? Or is it just another passing wellness trend that falls short of the hype?
Well, the skeptics can relax. Infrared saunas are much more than a trend du jour. In fact infrared saunas have many more benefits to your health and wellness than you might imagine. Here we take a look at how infrared heat works to enhance your wellbeing and good health and the nine proven benefits of infrared saunas at Cinzia Spa in Myrtle Beach.
Just What is an Infrared Sauna
An infrared sauna is a box-like structure equipped with infrared heaters. The sauna detoxifies, heals the body and boosts mood and energy level by directly raising your body temperature. Traditional steam or dry saunas operate well in excess of 200°F which makes it difficult to endure beyond short stints. Infrared saunas utilize technology to raise the body temperature directly, and the room is a more tolerable 100°F which most people can easily handle for the recommended 30-45 minutes.
Devotees of infrared saunas describe the experience as very comfortable, akin to spending time lying in the sun, with the sun’s warmth penetrating to your very core. It’s not only quite tolerable but highly comforting.
Because you are able to enjoy a comfortable sauna for more than a few minutes, the infrared heat is able to thoroughly detoxify and impart many other health benefits. In fact you will sweat-a lot! And you will likely continue to sweat and unburden your body of toxins for up to 30 minutes post-sauna.
The 9 Health Benefits of Infrared Sauna
Saunas, in general, have been touted for centuries as beneficial to health. Unfortunately, those benefits have been short-lived as the intense heat of traditional saunas is only bearable for a short amount of time. Enter the infrared sauna. Because you are able to spend more time in warm comfort your body benefits in many amazing ways. Here are the nine top health benefits of infrared sauna.
● Detoxification: Everyone ingests toxins, even if only from the less than pure air we breathe. Sauna sweating detoxifies the body by helping to release things like heavy metals, inorganic compounds, organic compounds and other free radicals that can damage cells. Infrared saunas increase blood circulation which promotes even better detoxification.
● Stress Reduction: The gentle warming of infrared heat on the body promotes relaxation, eases stress and increases release of endorphins, the feel good hormone. Studies have also shown the positive affect these saunas have on the autonomic nervous system by putting the user into a state of resting and digestion (parasympathetic) allowing for cell renewal and healing.
● Relief From Aches and Pains: Infrared heat works directly on muscles easing inflammation, stiffness and pain while promoting circulation. Age-related arthritis, tendonitis, bursitis and many other muscular and skeletal conditions that cause pain can be relieved via infrared heat.
● Increased Metabolism: During an infrared sauna your body is in a passive aerobic mode. This means your blood is pumping. Heart rate is increased, circulation is enhanced and you’re sweating. Calories are being burned as your metabolism increases, all of which is going on as you relax in the warmth of the infrared sauna.
● Immune Support: Much study has been done on heat shock proteins and their role in reversing infection, healing injuries and aiding in flare-ups of autoimmune conditions. Infrared saunas increase the heat shock proteins in the body which, in turn, increases the immune response, promoting good health.
● Benefits Your Skin: The effect of infrared sauna on your skin is nothing short of miraculous. Spending time in an infrared sauna increases perspiration, releasing toxins, cleansing your pores and enhancing a natural glow. Additionally the increased circulation and raised body temperature cause a boost to your body’s natural collagen and elastin, which has been shown to reverse the signs of agog, reduce the appearance of scars and improve eczema and psoriasis.
● Cellulite Reduction: Intense infrared heat has a positive effect on the unsightly appearance of cellulite. Cellulite responds to the increase in circulation and metabolism very quickly. For continued reversal of the appearance of cellulite regular infrared saunas are recommended.
● Heart Health: A recent study found that infrared sauna aids in the reduction of blood pressure, cholesterol and inflammation, all of which have a very negative impact on heart health.
● Help With Chronic Conditions: The positive effects of infrared sauna have a direct impact on many chronic conditions. As mentioned above your heart benefits from infrared sauna. Chronic fatigue syndrome has been shown to respond well to infrared sauna as have other autoimmune conditions. The elimination of toxins, improved circulation, metabolic boost and internal organ cleanse can even aid in the management of diabetes.
The Key To Getting The Most Out of Your Infrared Sauna Treatment
Make the most of your infrared experience by ensuring proper hydration prior to your visit as you will sweat. Give yourself plenty of time afterward to let your body cool down naturally. Wear something comfortable, such as a bathing suit and plan to bring along a book, listen to a favorite podcast or meditate.
With this new and more efficient sauna experience many other benefits are just now being discovered. At Cinzia Spa in Myrtle Beach, we are proud to offer infrared sauna treatments as part of our center for health, wellness and beyond. There are several options for you to take advantage of this remarkable, life-changing experience. Contact the wellness experts at Cinzia Spa in Myrtle Beach today and find out how infrared sauna can enhance your life.